Thursday 23 May 2013

Malvern Hills 52 Mile Ultra 2013

Deliverance, Doppelgangers and Demoralising Detours



By May last year I’d completed two 100 mile events and went on to have a satisfactory year in subsequent ultras, including the Lakeland 100, Hell on the Humber 12 hour and the Self Transcendence 24 hour. However, my feeling at the end of the season had been that I should have raced less over longer distances and improved my speed over shorter distances with more recovery between events.

With that in mind the only event I’d entered in 2013 before the Lakeland 100 was the Malvern Hills Ultra 52 mile event. I was using it in exactly the same way a marathon runner would target a half marathon a few weeks before his main event. The faster you can run half the distance, the faster you should be able to run the full distance so the principle was the same. Training had also reflected this as I’d done much less long runs but had increased the amount I spent running at faster speeds.

Race morning began with a very early start, and it was straight to breakfast. A quick recce of the area the previous evening had revealed a McDonalds about a mile away which opened at 5:30am. After a quick feast on a double sausage and egg muffin meal (large of course), porridge and pancakes it was a short drive to the race venue.
Double yum.

Race registration was relaxed even by ultrarunning standards. It was also very grand as the event was based at Holt Castle, a 13th century building hidden from the surrounding roads. There were several route options up to miles up to 82 miles and relay teams were also running as well, so there were loads of people milling around, chatting and making last minute preparations. The only person I recognised was Daryl Carter who had won the same event the previous year. I’d previously met him at the Double Enduroman in Lanzarote a couple of years earlier where he’d been flying until stomach issues had forced his retirement.

At 7am we all made our way to the start and set off. The course was basically out-and-back from Holt Castle heading southwards, then joining the Worcestershire Way and eventually reaching the Malvern Hills. At the halfway point we were to turn around and retrace our steps back to Holt Castle. The route appeared to be approximately 30% road and 70% trail with the hillier parts at the southern end of the course. The early miles were mainly on road and fairly flat so I made good progress as the field gradually strung out.

Course profile.

The weather forecast was for a warm and sunny day but for the first few miles it was grey and drizzly, although an ideal temperature for running. It felt great to be racing again, and I was really looking forward to the race unfolding. As there was still the odd person visible ahead navigation wasn’t an issue for the early miles and I relaxed and enjoyed the simplicity of the event.

The only thing to remember in the early miles was to mark my dibber at the unmanned checkpoints. There were four of them on the parts of the course where short cuts were possible and we had been told that missing one would add ten minutes onto our finishing times.

One of the unmanned checkpoints (Photo Summit Fever).

We soon reached CP1, one of five manned checkpoints along the route. There was a great selection of food and drink available which was a bonus as I was running with very little on me and was relying on using the nutrition from the aid stations. I’d lost a considerable amount of time at the Lakeland 100 aid stations and was trialling a new routine to speed the process up for future races. Instead of using the usual hydration bladder I was experimenting with water bottles on the front of a hydration vest. This negated the need to remove a backpack to fiddle around to access the bladder when refilling was required. I also had a waterproof plastic bag secured at the top of one of my calf guards. Once I’d partially filled a water bottle I would fill the bag with a few snacks and continue running, eating as I moved. It went smoothly and in a very short time I was on my way to CP2.

Running on a flatter road section (Photo Summit Fever).

The terrain was similar to the first leg but we soon began to hit more trails as we eventually joined the Worcestershire Way. There were now small signs to follow but it wasn’t fool proof. I’d found myself running with another couple of runners and there were a few instances of arriving at a junction or split in the trail with no signs visible anywhere. We had a few Chinese parliaments while we debated the options and it was a runner with the route programmed onto his Garmin who we decided was the most trustworthy. I had photocopied and laminated route cards which were clear enough to see most features but as they were in black and white it was hard to distinguish the finer details which obviously caused problems with micro-navigation. Just because we were moving south didn’t necessarily mean we were on the right path.

Route cards: colour versions would have been a better option.

I eventually realised one of the competitors I was running with was also called Nick Thomas. We were similar ages, skinny, both triathletes and also racing the Lakeland 100 so no doubt we were causing some race organisers a considerable amount of confusion.

The terrain gradually became more challenging as we began to hit steep climbs and quad-busting descents. They were a mixture of scenic trails through woods and roads linking the off-road sections and the increase in difficulty had completely split the field. My routine was to run every section unless it was quicker to walk: Nick Thomas #2 chose to run even the steepest climbs but I saw little point if I was walking at exactly the same pace.

We eventually reached CP2 and repeated the same routine as CP1. The sun was now shining so I drank a few cups of water at the aid station so I wouldn’t have to carry as much with me. I picked some random sweets and chocolates to fill my bag and that was me done. The other two runners were equally quick and within about a minute or two we were on our way again.

The weather improved as the day progressed.

During the next few miles I occasionally caught a glimpse of the Malvern Hills when we were on the higher ground, each time getting slightly closer (and bigger). By now I was only running with Nick Thomas #2, the other runner having dropped back during a hillier section. We eventually reached the lower slopes of North Hill and caught a group of four runners who had obviously slowed down. Again it was unclear whether they were solo or relay runners, but we all had a very brief chat before the climbing began.

From a distance the hills had looked very remote and almost volcanic but the northern slopes were disappointingly built up and suburban. We spent the first half of the climb walking up steps and winding our way up the hill on road before making a left turn onto the hills proper. We were now above the built up area so the surrounding countryside increasingly came into view and as we were more exposed the wind became more noticeable.

The clouds began to clear and the sun eventually emerged (Photo Summit Fever).

We dropped the other runners but ended up running back into one of them on North Hill as we’d taken an unnecessary trip to the summit: something which happens when you confuse north with south. Two became three and we ran together to the third unmanned checkpoint on North Hill. Runner number three turned out to be part of the RAF ultrarunning team and was completing the event with a number of teammates. Once we were on the higher ground the route became undulating as opposed to hilly so we made good progress as we ran south along the ridge.

The steepest climb came as we approached Summer Hill and I thought the terrain and features were very reminiscent of the Brecon Beacons. Once we reached the summit we were rewarded with a fantastic view to our left. Visibility was very good so we could see for miles and below us we were almost looking directly down on Great Malvern – it was like looking at Google Earth. After checking in at the fourth unmanned checkpoint on the summit we began the gradual descent down to CP3 at Little Malvern. It was along this stretch that we saw Daryl on his way back and then saw a second then third runner. I knew we were in the top ten but wasn’t sure exactly how many runners were ahead. We eventually descended below the treeline and soon arrived at CP3, the halfway point of the race.

There were a few relay runners there waiting for their teammates and one or two solo runners having a break, one appearing to be have problems with his feet. Both Nick Thomas #2 and I were determined to continue with the fast turnarounds so we repeated the previous drill and were quickly on our way. I didn’t check my watch as the time was irrelevant on such a challenging course, but I felt good and was confident I could maintain the same pace on the return leg.

The weather was perfect for a day on the trails.

Running downhill inevitably means running uphill at some point and we immediately became climbing northwards. By now the weather was perfect and as it was now mid-morning the hills were getting busier with groups of walkers and ice cream lickers, some of whom insisted on walking five abreast so nobody could get past. We began seeing more runners coming towards us as they approached the turnaround, some looking in good spirits and others appearing that they might have set off too fast.

Running the course in reverse was predictably familiar but as we descended from the ridge line back through the residential area it became apparent that we’d followed a completely different route. We’d ended up at the correct junction but from a different direction. It was positive in the sense that we were going the right way but also highlighted that much of the course was very familiar and it would be even easier to make mistakes as we returned through the trickier sections later on.

During the approach to CP4 I began to drop Nick Thomas #2. Whether it was I was having a sudden surge of energy or because he was slowing I wasn’t sure but I was keen to make good progress when I felt good. I had a quick chat with the volunteers, drank four cups of Coke, grabbed a few treats and was off. The climbs were predictably short and steep but there were regular landmarks I remembered from earlier in the day. Much of the route was now along wooded trails and as there was seemingly nobody anywhere near me it felt like I was on one of my solo training runs. I never get lonely training alone and felt completely at peace and very lucky being able to run for miles on end on a fantastic summer’s day.

The peace didn’t last for long however. The first problem I encountered was at the top of a steep climb to Ankerdine. The photocopied map wasn’t clear and I found myself running along a road I gradually realised I didn’t remember. My shadow on the road indicated I was still running in the right direction but I wasn’t convinced. I stopped to check the map a couple of times, but there were no road signs and nobody around to ask. I eventually decided to retrace my steps and came across a series of ramshackle buildings set back from the road at the end of a dirt track. I ran down the track and saw two haggard, dishevelled and bearded men who looked like they’d never ventured beyond the end of the dirt track. It was like running into the movie Deliverance and I expected to hear the twangs of a banjo being played at any second. They were actually very helpful and soon established that I was on the right road but again, I’d somehow arrived there via a different route.

I continued along the same road again and before long it became familiar. After a brief diversion through a farm as I left the Worcestershire Way, I reached the final check point in Martley. I was feeling more tired now and the ladies at the aid station seemed slightly concerned as my legs had a slight wobble as I checked in. They fussed over me as I finished a couple of Cokes and helpfully topped my water bottle up before sending me on my way. 

The jacket wasn't required on the way back to Holt Castle (Photo Summit Fever).

It was now mid-afternoon and the temperature was now at the warmest it had been all day. I felt good as I began the final stretch and was buoyed by the fact that the route was simple to navigate and relatively flat for the final few miles. The positive attitude began to fade several minutes later as I began to get a (too) familiar feeling. The farm buildings on my left weren’t on the route map so there was something clearly wrong. There was an obvious reason for this and that was that I’d missed a right turn and was continuing northwards. I didn’t want to believe it but knew I had to establish my exact location. I called in at the first farm but there was no reply (or they had a look at the visitor and decided not to answer) so I continued to the next one. I knocked on the kitchen door and immediately a woman appeared who amazingly opened the door to me. I don’t think she was expecting any visitors, and especially not someone clad in Lycra and caked in dried sweat and dribble.

She quickly confirmed my suspicion: I’d missed the turning and now had to continue for half a mile before turning right and eventually rejoining the route. I was annoyed but the release of adrenaline increased my pace as I tried to minimise the damage done - I knew I was in the top five and really didn’t want to lose any places before the finish. It’s amazing how a small drama can switch the mind and body back on in an instant.

As I eventually rejoined the course I looked right to see a group of four runners heading towards me, not far behind. There were around four miles to go and they were looking strong (possibly because they’d seen me) so I increased my pace slightly and pushed on, hoping I’d drop them. They gradually came within a few metres of me as we entered the final woods but after a hard surge up a climb two of them quickly dropped back. As the remaining two caught me I realised they were relay runners so I calmed down. As long as I maintained the best pace I could I would hold my position as I couldn’t see anyone ahead and there was no chance I would be caught by anyone behind. We took turns to push the pace and after a bizarre detour through someone’s back garden found ourselves running towards Holt Castle. After a few more surges and an agonising last mile I finally turned into the castle grounds, crossed the finish line and finally found the nearest patch of grass to collapse on. Daryl was standing there looking annoyingly fresh and high-spirited and clearly took pity on the heap in front of him, kindly bringing me a drink.

Sitting down at last!

The hospitality I’d enjoyed throughout the race continued as we were provided with hot food and numerous snacks and drinks at the finish. There was a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere as relay teams and families sat around the grounds under the sun all reliving the day’s adventure, and each remaining finisher was welcomed in turn back to the finish.

Reflection
I ended up finishing fifth which means I didn’t get passed during my detour after the last check point. If I’d gone the right way I might have gained a place or two but that’s irrelevant speculation. The aim of the race was to act as an early season leg stretch to give me an indication of where my training was heading. I ran consistently throughout and finished strongly, and the next day I was walking down the stairs as normal. The longest run I’d done in preparation had been 3.5 hours but at a faster pace than normal and the indications were that the shift to higher intensity/lower volume was paying off. The real test will be whether it produces the results at the Lakeland 100.

Race details here: http://www.ultrarunningltd.co.uk/malvern-hills-ultra

Race photos (courtesy of Summit Fever) here:
http://www.ultrarunningltd.co.uk/galleries?album=all&gallery=13

Kit Review
I‘ve continued to depend on the Brooks Cascadia 8 as it’s the most suitable shoe for my requirements. I didn’t experience and joint pain during or after the event and didn’t get a single blister throughout the event.

As the weather forecast predicted light rain in the morning and a sunny afternoon I chose the Salomon Fast Wing jacket as it’s very lightweight and breathable. Once the rain abated I removed it and relied on my Skins arm warmers which were then removed as the temperature rose in the afternoon. Arm warmers are very popular with cyclists for their versitility and I'm surprised more runners don't use them, especially during longer events.

Salomon Fast Wing jacket.

Skins A400 Active Sleeves.

To spare the general public the trauma of seeing me in Lycra shorts I wore the Salomon Exo Wings Twinskin shorts which have a thin outer short over the compression short. They were tight fitting which helps prevent chaffing and were very comfortable and breathable.

Salomon Exo Wings Twinskin shorts.

When the sun shines there’s only one brand of sunglasses I’ll wear: Oakley Radars are the most practical and comfortable glasses I’ve ever worn and a worthy replacement for the older (and previously awesome) M Frames.

Oakley Radars: the daddy.

  All Brooks, Oakley and Salomon  products were provided by Royles: www.royles.biz